Translate To:


[code via DI]

Flash Updates

Subscribe By MailE-Mail Address:

Making Of

MP3

Tips Tricks Hacks

Google Tips

Firefox & IE Tweaks

Vulnerabilities Found

A Note About

Reviewed

25th Birthday of Virus

This Article Is Sponored By You! | Sunday, January 28, 2007 by Salman Siddiqui | Comments
I am now blogging on my self hosted blog CompuWorld and started another blog of mine the Senorita


25 years back a 9th grade student would not have thought that he might be changing the future of computing forever. This year marks the 25th anniversary of computer viruses. The same guy, who still hasn't grown old, shares his experiences on his blog. The author of the first virus, Elk Cloner, has this in store for you.

First thought: "25 years? Aaaah I'm old!"

Fortunately I still regularly get the feeling I had back when I wrote cloner.

"Why did I do it", a reporter asked. "Was it malicious?"

No, not malicious. It was a practical joke combined with a hack. A wonderful hack.

Back then nothing was networked. We had these computers in a lab, and there was software for them on floppy disks. You stick in the disk and run the software. Simple.

The aha moment was when I realized I could essentially get my program to move around by itself. I could give it its own motive force, by having it hide in the resident RAM of the machine between floppy changes, and hitching a ride onto the next floppy that would be inserted. Whoa. That would be cool.

Insight without implementation is worthless, so to work I went.


Like many of the early viruses, Elk Cloner did not cause any deliberate harm, although it could harm disks not containing the standard DOS image - it overwrote its reserved tracks regardless of the contents. Like many of the early viruses, however, it did cause annoyance: on every 50th booting the virus would display a short "poem," as follows:

 Elk Cloner:  The program with a personality

It will get on all your disks
It will infiltrate your chips
Yes it's Cloner!

It will stick to you like glue
It will modify RAM too

Send in the Cloner!
Unfortunately the poor guy gave a kick start to a severe headache to the computing world.
BookMark the Blog (for firefox)
(for All)

Technorati Tags: Elk Cloner, 25th Birthday of Virus, virus, hacking

Labels: , ,


My Mom Hates Me Blogging!Will You Help Me Show Her That I Am Good At It...Please?


==========Your Comments==========

>>>>>>>Click Here To Leave Your Precious Comments.<<<<<<<



“This Article”

  1. Blogger exasparater Says:

    need to get him and give him a bang!

    my system is one of its victims, need to install OS once in a week!

  2. Blogger Salman Siddiqui Says:

    I would surely like to know which virus was it that you have to re install OS every week?

    I hope you see this comment back as I coudnt find your email neither in your profile and not even in your blog!

Recently Published Articles

Build Your University Campus In 3D And Win - Posted on Friday, January 26, 2007

HOW TO optimize uTorrent settings for improved per... - Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007

Hackers Attack Gorbachevs Web site - Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007

Belgian Newspapers Ask Yahoo To Stop Linking - Posted on Sunday, January 21, 2007

Your Laptop Might Blow Up - Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007

First pirated HD DVD movie hits BitTorrent - Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Convert Videos To Any Format Using Hey Watch - Posted on Tuesday, January 16, 2007

You Have a Question? - Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sony Targeting to Get Into Every Living Room Aroun... - Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007

Work as You Tube HomePage Editor - Posted on Sunday, January 14, 2007

Moved

I am now blogging on my self hosted blog CompuWorld and started another blog of mine the Senorita

Money Makers


PPP Direct

Archives

Blogroll

Recent Comments